Monday 22 February 2010

Once upon a beginning....

So... where to start?!

I’m a lifelong gamer and have played many different board games, video games, miniature wargames, collectible card games and pencil and paper roleplaying games. I played both Warhammer 40k and Warhammer Fantasy Battle until about 15 years ago when I ran out of cash, competitors and interest (having recently discovered both beer and women which between them sapped my free time and wallet).

I have been considering rejoining the 40k hobby for about a year and in October I found myself in a GW store checking out the minis. When I last picked up a paint brush I played 2 armies – Space Wolves in 40k and Skaven in fantasy. On entering the store I found out that the new Wolves codex was coming out at the end of that week and the Skaven codex was only a month away. I took this as a sign from the Allfather and left the store with a copy of Assault on Black Reach, a starter painting kit and a copy of volume 1 of the Space Wolves Omnibus. Since then I’ve immersed myself back into the 40k hobby (I have no intention to start square-basing again) and I’m so very pleased to be back.

In this blog I intend to document my progress in getting back into the hobby and hopefully spur myself on to get an army or two painted for your comments and/or ridicule. If anyone actually finds my fumbling attempts to build and paint minis entertaining enough to follow all the better.

I’d like to think that this blog could serve to illustrate that we all start as noobs and may even inspire some other gamers in the early stages of 40k addiction who can’t see how their minis will ever look like the better examples the web has to offer. In reality drunken banter, wild speculation and poorly judged opinion may be more common. If nothing else you can feel you’re doing your part for the mentally ill by giving my unstable ego a boost. As a warning I may occasionally use naughty words, although I will try my best to self censor. I mean no personal offense by anything I post but I am who I am.

Before I release what is sure to be a monumental post in modern blogging history out into the warp I’d just like to thank everyone over at 40k radio for keeping my interest in the hobby while going through the first few difficult months where my modelling and painting truly sucked and I couldn’t find a single person to play against. I’d also like to thank the 40k Freebootaz for their constant inspiration when it comes to modelling, painting, playing and living Warhammer 40,000.

See you in the warp...

No comments:

Post a Comment